This is an easy pulao recipe, it comes together in 30 minutes. The cauliflower is definitely the hero here and pairs beautifully with the peas. I have used basmati rice here.
I have cooked this pulao in a deep sauce pot, you can definitely cook this in a pressure cooker too. The method and instructions below are for cooking in the sauce pot so please adjust cooking time accordingly.
Cooking time- 30 minutes
Prep time– 5-10 minutes
- Rice- 2 cups, washed and drained. Do not soak
- Water- 4 cups of hot boiling water
- Cauliflower- 350-400 gms, washed well and cut into roughly 1 inch pieces
- Peas- 125-150 gms
- Onion- 1 medium- large onion, sliced
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Ghee/oil- 4 tbsp (2+2) divided
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder- 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf)- 1 tsp
- Whole Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Cloves- 4-5 nos
- Green cardamom- 3-4
- Cinnamon stick- 2 inch stick
- Bay leaf- 1
- Salt- as per taste
- Black cumin seeds (shah jeera)- 1 tsp (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves- finely chopped, a good handful.
- Place the deep sauce-pot/kadhai on medium heat and once hot, add 2 tbsp ghee. To it, add the bay leaf and other whole spices. Let it crackle for about 30 seconds. Once fragrant, tip in the sliced onions. Add a pinch of salt so the onions cook faster.
- Sauté the onions till they are light golden and then add the ginger garlic paste. Cook and stir till it’s cooked and no longer smells raw. About a minute or so.
- Add the cauliflower to the sauce pot and mix well. Add the turmeric, chili and coriander powder and mix well.
- It may stick to the bottom, so add couple of splashes of water and cook covered for 5 minutes on LOW heat. This is important- don’t not cook on medium here. It will surely stick on the base of the sauce pot.
- After 5 minutes, lift the lid and if you see any liquid, turn the heat to MEDIUM and cook till it dries off. Maybe, 1 minute.
- Now, add the peas and stir gently. Then, add the washed and drained rice. Stir for a minute. We want the rice to be coated in the spices and ghee. About 1 minute.
- Now add the 4 cups of boiling hot water to the sauce pot. Check the seasoning. You want the water to taste of the sea. It should be salty like sea water. Scatter the black cumin (shah jeera) if using, and the remaining 2 tbsp ghee and mix well.
- Place the lid and cook on LOW heat for 18 minutes. This is important. It should be low heat. I always keep a timer.
- After 18 minutes, switch of the heat but do not open the lid for another 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes are done, remove the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix gently. Done!
Your delicious cauliflower and peas pulao is ready!
As I’ve mentioned above, the timing and heat is important to note here. Do try this recipe and let me know how it turned out.
Thanks and regards,